Monday, January 9, 2012

Writing for the Quarterly Daily Devotional Magazine Reflecting God


I've been writing 7-day sets of devotionals for the quarterly devotional magazine Come Ye Apart/Reflecting God for fifteen years. The magazine is published by WordAction and the Nazarene Publishing House. My lastest set, for March 19-25, is in the Spring 2012 issue.

Getting an Assignment for Reflecting God

 I don't write query letters requesting an assignment. Instead, the current editor of Reflecting God sends me an email offering an assignment. The details for the Spring 2012 assignment included:
  • Which issue: Spring 2012
  • How many daily devotionals: one week (7)
  • The word count for each devotional: 180-200 words
  • A 2-3 word title
  • Two-line quote from a public domain hymn found in the Sing to the Lord hymnal
  • Due date if I accept the assignment: March 14, 2011. That gave me one month to write the devotionals.
  • Adult Faith Connections Session Title taught at the end of the week of devotionals: What Will You Decide About Jesus?
  • Scripture readings and Key Verse for each day. Example: 3/19 - SR: Mark 2:23-3:6; KV: "[T}he Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath' (Mark 2:28).
  • Payment: $115
  • I am asked to accept or reject the assignment as soon as it is convenient. (I answered "yes" the same day.)
The Contract

I received two copies of a contract that included all the details of the Spring 2012 devotionals assignment by mail a week later. I signed one copy and returned it to the publisher in a post-paid envelope, and filed the second copy. I also included a hard copy of a recent photo of myself, as the Reflecting God magazine includes an "Introducing Our Contributors" page with a picture and short bio for each contributor.

With the contracts came a copy of the Reflecting God Writing Guidelines and Procedures. Those included:  

1. Some direction for preparing my heart before writing: "Jesus said, 'For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. Good people bring good things out of the good stored up in them...' (Mat. 12:34b-35a, TNIV). Your own walk with God will produce insights God can use to draw others closer to him. 

I  begin by reading the assigned scripture in 2-3 versions of the Bible. Then I'll read what several commentaries, including The New Interpreter's Bible, have to say about the verses. As I read, I pray for the Spirit's inspiration and guidance for illustrations that reflect how the scripture relates to twenty-first century believers.

2. How to develop a single theme for each devotional: "As you study the scripture assignment, write down insights that come to you. Choose the one that you believe would encourage growth in the spiritual ife of readers. Rewrite the insight into a single, simple sentence. This will become your theme. Unlike sermons or longer assignments, you don't have the luxury of developing more than one point."

3. I'm to remember that style matters so I should:
  • Begin each devotional with a strong lead-in sentence.
  • Avoid spiritual, church, or technical jargon.
  • Avoid use of the passive voice.
  • Be careful of TMI (Too Much "I")
  • Document all quotes. If I can't, don't use them.
  • Watch my word count. Don't go under 180 or over 200 words.
  • Write a closing sentence that "ties a bow" on the devotional.
  • Title my work.
  • Select a 2-line hymn quote
4. Directions for submitting the set of devotionals (The Work):
  •  Read, review, and revise before submitting.
  • Save the seven devotionals in one document.
  • Include my name as I would like it to appear, my city and state, a short bio (25 words or less).
  • Submit the devotionals and supporting info to the email address provided.
  • Will receive acknowledgment of receival of the "work" by email.
I confess that I find writing sets of devotionalswith such a short word count a challenge. Getting an idea across in 180-200 words demands careful editing and tight writing. Writing devotionals also brings joy--a chance to follow the Spirit's leading and draw the reader closer to God. You can't beat that.


 
 




Bookmark and Share

No comments: