Saturday, June 2, 2012

About the Book Cover for Mums the Word

I've been working for several months on a book that  demonstrates how to grow mums for home and exhibition shows. I have 15 articles that share the monthly, mums-growing process in the online magazine Yahoo Voice: http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/795056/pat_stockett_johnston.html -I used these articles as a basis for the book.  

Mums the Word is a full-color, 42-page book. The chapters are built around around the tasks a grower must accomplish each month to have blooms to enjoy at home or submit in October and November exhibition shows.

I grew the mums blooms shown on the back and front covers last year. My friend Dale Welcome is a photographer. He asked me if he could take pictures of some of my flowers last fall. Of course I said yes! Dale printed some note cards using some of the pictures for me.

So when Debby Alten, the editor of G8Press, asked me for pictures for the book cover, I immediately thought of Dale's. He graciously agreed to format the pictures as requested by cover designer Alison Anderson for no charge. Alison did a great job on the cover. If you need a cover designed, I highly recommend her and her company, blue peacock creative: http://bluepeacockcreative.com

I asked for suggestions for the book title on my Facebook page. Both Beverly Mims and Jeanette Gardner Littleton suggested "Mums the Word." I'll be sending them a free copy of the book after it is published next week.

Mums the Word: Serets to Growing Chrysanthemums for Home or Show will soon be available through G8Press and amazon.com.
Bookmark and Share 

No comments: